Thursday, October 27, 2005

10.27.05: Northeast Tour: Very Interesting Stuff, Dennis, Thanks.

“In the biblical story of Jericho,” the handsome, African-American baritone explained, “the ancient Hebrews broke down the walls of the city by raising a great noise. Filmmaker Liz Nord has found some young people in Israel today who are also raising a great noise…blah, blah, blah…”

Cut to said filmmaker, talking about her movie, Jericho’s Echo: Punk Rock in the Holy Land, on the WB11 morning news show. That was how my big apple TV debut began this morning. Heather (my best friend and NY hostess) was kind enough to set her alarm for a bleary-eyed 5:50 AM so that we could watch the broadcast, and we saw it when it aired again at 7:20.

I am very happy to report that my biggest mainstream publicity exposure to date was a real success, complete with well-edited clips from the movie, the JE website address being flashed on the screen, and even an almost-parody-like pan back to the newsdesk after the report, where the main newsdesk lady replied to the announcer mentioned above, “Very Interesting Stuff, Dennis, Thanks,” before moving on to her next report. It was too early in the morning to get all dorked out about it, but I did feel a little like The Supremes hearing their song on the radio for the first time or something.

The best part about it was that I had received some great advice from Asma Hassan, Muslim author and frequent news commentator whom I had met earlier in the week. I was talking with Asma about an upcoming project that I am currently researching about Muslim-American teenagers, and I mentioned that I was going to be interviewed the following day. She said that TV adds 20 lbs. to the face, which I knew from past experience, but she gave me the antidote, as well—it also takes away 20 lbs. from the hair! So the key to looking normal on TV is BIG HAIR. Well, thank you, Asma. I finally appeared on TV without my head looking like a big tomato!

The WB11 spots were a nice way to start a big day for JE. In a little while, I am meeting with someone from the Curriculum Initiative to discuss bringing the film into high schools, and tonight is our second Manhattan screening. I might have time to write about it if I’m not to busy being mobbed by screaming fans all over the city. Hee hee.

No comments: