Thursday, October 20, 2005

10.20.05: Northeast Tour: Homeward Bound

I am sitting in the airport terminal en route from the Big Apple to Syracuse, NY. (G-d bless JetBlue for their wireless internet hubs. Oy! The wonders of modern technology!) Syracuse would not necessarily be a tour stop for everyone in my situation, but what can I say? Before moving to Boston, London and now San Francisco, the little teeny Syracuse suburb known as Fayettville, NY, was my home.

The first show of this tour was last night, and it was OK. The venue had the screening listed in all of the big publications…even the New Yorker magazine. Too bad they all published THE WRONG DATE! Just one of the many joys of the road. At least I can blame the less-than-stellar turnout on that little faux pas. Between that and the new Jewish Week review of “Joshua’s Echo”, I sometimes wonder if there is anyone in this world who is not a complete freakin idiot.

The good news is that the folks who did turn up were amazing! Two of my absolute favorite people in the world were there, Heather and Aunt Babe (thanks for your help!), along with a bevy of people from my past (like Jon who lived down the street from me 8 years ago in London), people who were involved with the movie (Peter whose photos appear on screen and Brian who helped with publicity) and a big shout out to my NBF Isa, who brought like 6 people and who just published her first cookbook, Vegan with a Vengeance.

All in all, I guess it’s good to start out the tour with a just-OK show so they can all improve from here. So, onward…

P.S. Whoever decided that these velour sweatsuits should be in style is an absolute GENIUS. They are the perfect travel wear—comfy, no belts or metal to go off in the security gate, AND they make your ass look good!

No comments: